Monday, October 5, 2009

Un-Australian To Not Eat A Non Human

Friends,

My freakishly annoying friends are back at it again! It seems that now they are offering to pay the Police Department in Vallego to drive with PETA signage on their cars. What signage you ask? Well, it wouldn't be Peta if it were not scantily clad women on the cars. The signage doesn't look as bad as some of their campaigns, but it is not helpful, either. The only response Peta will get from this is 'Fuck Vegans'. My tolerance level of this ridiculous organisation is at an all time low. With SO much money, why can they not do something useful for the AR movement as opposed to making a mockery of it?

On another note, does anyone remember those Australia day ads from 2005 which basically said if you do not eat lambs on Australia day, you are Un-Australian? I heard on the radio today they are thinking of bringing those ads back. It is media like this which perpetuates the idea that veganism is extreme and/or weird. It is media like this which provide all the more reason for us to mainstream our ways and promote a positive image.

For those of you who have forgotten the ad...

--------------
Script in English
SFX: Advance Australia Fair

Sam: There’s nothing worse than being un-Australian. I should know, I’ve been Australian all my life. And
I’m sickened by the creeping tide of un-Australianism eroding our great traditions, like our custom of eating Lamb on Australia Day. Un-Australianism is everywhere. For example, people wearing those plastic, brightly-coloured flip-flop shoes with flowers on them. What’s wrong with rubber thongs in simple primary colours? If I hear another person say “thong”, when they mean those swimming costumes poncey Brazilian blokes wear up their bums, I’ll do my block. Sadly, the scourge of un-Australianism has even infected our national day. A balanced Australia Day diet should consist of a few nice, juicy lamb chops and beer. (And perhaps a bit of pavlova for those with a sweet tooth). Yet your long-haired, dole-bludging types are indulging their pierced tastebuds in all manner of exotic, foreign, often vegetarian cuisine: chicken burger value meals, pizzas, a number 42 with rice… It’s an absolute disgrace. And people ask why we need capital punishment. Do you think the diggers in the trenches were fighting for tofu sausages? No, they were thinking of grabbing a lamb chop off the barbie with their bare fingers, sustaining third degree burns, then sticking their hands into a relieving esky to fish out a cold one. Look at our national song, Waltzing Matilda. It’s about a bloke trying to get a nice bit of lamb into his tuckerbag, not spicy chicken wings. The soap-avoiding, pot-smoking, hippy vegetarians may disagree with me, but they can get stuffed. They know the way to the airport, and if they don’t I’ll show them. So the message is clear – even for you backpackers: roll out the barbie, ensure the gas bottle’s filled, stack the fridge full of lamb, and prepare the invitation list.
So don’t be un-Australian - serve lamb on Australia Day. You know it makes sense. I’m Sam Kekovich.
Brief Explanation
In a spoof of a party political broadcast, we give Australians a funny reminder that it would be un-Australian to celebrate our national day without eating lamb.

Personally, I find this highly offensive because I refuse to be labelled Un-Aussie because I do not support violence. In fact, I think it is fair to say as a vegan i am more Aussie since I truly believe in giving EVERYONE a 'fair go' ;)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That ad makes me want to cry. Seriously. Jingoism anyone? Yuck. And it scares me that people would even buy into it...if they do.

Amy said...

Oh, they do. I remember.